IAFPA runs an annual conference to facilitate the exchange of phonetic and acoustic research, methodology and best practice for the analysis of recordings and interpretation of findings, and any other issues pertinent to the organisation’s aims.
IAFPA 2022 – Prague, Czech Republic
The 30th International Association for Forensic Phonetics and Acoustics (IAFPA) Conference will be held on July 10–13, 2022 in Prague, Czech Republic. This is currently being planned as an in-person conference. You can now visit the website at: https://iafpa2022.ff.cuni.cz
The deadline for submissions is March 18, 2022, for regular oral papers and poster presentations, and May 20, 2022, for work-in-progress posters.
Student Travel Grants
We are delighted to offer 3 travel grants of around £250 for Student Members of IAFPA who are self-funding attendance at our conferences. These grants are kindly sponsored by Oxford Wave Research, one of the UK’s leading speech and audio R&D companies who are also a regular attendee at our conferences, and by Equinox, the publisher of the International Journal of Speech, Language and the Law, who will offer two grants named after this journal . Student members should look out for the call for grant applications prior to each conference.
- Applicants must be students, i.e. registered as a Bachelors/Masters/PhD student, whose travel costs will be self-funded (not covered by a project/employer)
- Applicants should have an accepted paper for this year’s IAFPA conference
- The first author of the accepted paper must be the applicant
- The applicant must present this work at the conference in person
- The majority of the work must be completed by the applicant
- Reviewers comments will be considered in the selection process
- Preference in grant selections will be given to Student Members of IAFPA
- For Oxford Wave Research Grant, applicants with papers on topics relating to automatic speaker recognition/comparison, audio enhancement and/or signal processing are preferred.
Deadline for applications is June 17th. Decisions will be announced on June 20th.
To apply for the student travel grant please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- PDF copy of accepted paper
- Short statement about yourself and your research interests
- Letter from your supervisor confirming that your trip will be self-funded
Previous conferences [Recent]
IAFPA 2020/2021 – Marburg, Germany [online conference]
The 29th IAFPA Conference was held online – hosted virtually by Gea de Jong-Lendle and colleagues. More information can be found at the 2021 Conference Website.
IAFPA 2019 – Istanbul, Turkey
The 28th IAFPA Conference was held in Istanbul, Turkey – hosted by Burcu Önder and colleagues. More information can be found at the conference website.
IAFPA 2018 – Huddersfield, UK
IAFPA 2017 – Split, Croatia
The 26th IAFPA Conference was held in Split, Croatia on 09–12 July 2017. The 2017 conference was run as part of the collaboration between the University of Split’s Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences and the University of Zagreb’s Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences: Department of Phonetics. More information can be found on the Conference Website.
IAFPA 2016 – York, UK – 25th Anniversary celebration
IAFPA’s 2016 Annual Conference was run as part of the collaboration between the University of York’s Department of Language and Linguistic Science and J P French Associates, Forensic Speech and Acoustics Laboratory. The conference took place on 24 – 27 July 2016.
More information can be found on the conference website: https://sites.google.com/a/york.ac.uk/iafpa-25/
Previous conferences [Full listing]
1989 – Annual Conference on Forensic Phonetics – York, UK
1990 – Annual Conference on Forensic Phonetics – York, UK
1991 – Annual Conference on Forensic Phonetics – York, UK
IAFPA/IAFP Annual Conferences
|24th||2015||Leiden, The Netherlands||Website|
|29th||2021||[Online] Marburg, GER||Website|